Working in a Series
“Working in a Series has by far exceeded my expectations of an online class.
It has helped me to become more organized not only with my art but also in my daily life.
Besides building confidence I have learned to trust my instincts and develop a better creative understanding. I also ended up with several pieces of work that I am truly proud of.
Thank you Lisa Call for helping me get on track.” ~Donna Sheppard, Elkford B.C. Canada
Ready to clarify your artistic voice and deepen your studio practice?
The goal of this workshop is to inspire, educate and motivate you to explore working in a series. If you already work in a series, this workshop will deepen that practice.
Starting with an existing artwork or image, you will create several compositions in your series. You will settle on the topic/theme of your series during class and through a series of assignments, your idea will grow in new and exciting directions during the 10 week workshop.
At the end of each composition you’ll evaluate your own artwork via written exercises.
I will provide feedback on your artwork throughout the class via a weekly interactive group critique session.
For those looking for additional individual attention there is also an option to include 4 co-active coaching calls* for a more personal experience.
Mindsets are an important part of the workshop and we’ll dive into our thoughts and beliefs around our art making and studio practices to strengthen both. We’ll be looking at topics such as clutter, fear, perfectionism, motivation, interruptions, priorities and much more.
Note that this class does NOT include technique instruction. Students are expected to have the art making skills necessary to create their assignments.
This class is appropriate to be taken by all visual artists as the concepts we cover apply to all medium, not just textile art. Any media is acceptable: painting, drawing, encaustic, weaving, quilt making (piecing, applique, fusing, embellishment), surface design, etc.
As with all of my workshops, my biggest intention is to provide my students the confidence and tools so they can move their art forward by leaps and bounds.
Experience Level: Advanced Beginner to Advanced
Prerequisites – Artwork
- …have all materials, supplies and tools you will need to create the artwork in your chosen style and technique.
- …have the knowledge and skill to create artwork in your chosen technique.
- …be willing to work hard and focus.
- …leave all self deprecating thoughts at the door and be ready to think big about your art
- …be ready to reflect upon their experience so you can grow
- …and, of course, have fun. Laughter is encouraged.
Some of those things might make you uncomfortable and they might scare you. But if you have an open mind and are willing to give it a try, you qualify.
It is recommended you document your work in this class in a journal or sketchbook.
Prerequisites – Computer Skills
- Ability to take clear, in focus photos of your artwork with a digital camera.
- Ability to re-size and prepare your images for the internet.
- You must have a facebook profile to participate in this workshop.
Online Course Logistics
- Course material will be provided via recorded lectures, which you can listen to at your convenience.
- Additional written course material will be emailed Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings.
- You will complete studio 8 assignments.
- I will review student assignments once a week during live web-conferences (see below for specific dates and times).
- Reviews will be recorded for those that can not attend live.
- A portion of the review will be reserved for questions and answers.
- Ongoing online discussion with myself and fellow classmates on our private facebook group.
- New in 2015!! A limited number of mini coaching packages are available for students would like a deeper individual learning experience.
- Students that purchase the life coaching package will also have four private phone conversations with me. Two calls during the workshop and two after to help integrate your learning back into their regular studio practice.
- As a trained co-active coach, I will guide us through these calls using effective life coaching tools.
- Note: unused coaching calls expire 6 weeks after the workshop end date.
- New for 2015!! A Self-Paced option! Do you like working at your own pace? Are you interested in the course material but you are not looking for feedback or any class interaction? This option is for you.
- Self-paced students will have the lectures, assignments and written course material delivered to them over the same 10 week time frame as the interactive class.
- There will be no access to assignment reviews, individual feedback or group discussion on facebook with this option.
- I encourage you to only select this option if you are highly motivated self learner and do not need feedback on your work. I believe most students get more from learning in an interactive environment.
Not Sure If You Should Take this Workshop?
Please Don’t Signup for This Workshop If…
- …You have an unwillingness to explore the same theme in detail by diving deeper with each exercise. If working in a series is not your thing, this is not your workshop.
- …You don’t want to learn more about yourself and your art making. I’ll be encouraging introspection and reflection.
- …You are happy with your status quo. This is a workshop for those that are ready to dig in and move forward in a big way with their art.
Maybe another class is a better fit. See all of my online workshops here.