Cutting and Piecing Without a Ruler
If you can draw it. You can piece it.
In my one and only quilt-making technique online workshop, you will learn how to make original fabric compositions using a method I describe as intentional piecing.
Using your rotary cutter – (no rulers allowed!) – you will learn how to take most any design and translate it into a pieced textile composition.
The focus of this workshop will be on techniques where each piece of the composition is cut individually with intention. In other words, we won’t be doing any strip piecing.
This is a technique class. We will discuss design and color but the focus is on construction techniques. My later workshops go into design elements and principles in more detail.
Level – beginner to intermediate.
Prerequisites – Quiltmaking
- Ability to sew a 1/4 inch seam.
- Knowledge of your sewing machine. I am unable to provide support in this area.
- A readiness to learn, work hard and laugh.
- Some experience piecing traditional quilts is a plus but not required.
Prerequisites – Computer Skills
- Ability to take clear, in focus photos of your artwork with a digital camera.
- Ability to re-size and prepare your images for the internet.
- Ability to upload images via a WordPress blog. A step by step tutorial will be provided but each student must master this skill. It’s really quite simple and involves clicking a few buttons and links.
Online Course Logistics
- Demonstrations will be held via web conference over your computer and phone.
- Demonstrations will be 1 hour long on Sunday mornings at 10am Mountain.
- Demonstrations will be recorded for those that can not attend live.
- A portion of the demonstration will be reserved for questions and answers.
- Additional course material will be emailed Tuesday and Thursday mornings.
- There will be 6 assignments which are to be uploaded to the group website.
- I will be provide written responses to the assignments on the website.
- Additional class discussion and questions will be held each week on the website.
- A minimum of 30 different colors of solid 100% cotton fabric, 1/4 to 1 yard cuts, fat quarters are acceptable. Solid hand dyed fabric is acceptable as are prints that read as solids. High quality fabric is best as it behaves better when piecing. At least 6 of these must be dark values and at least 6 must be light values, a wide range of values is preferred.
- A minimum of 10 different neutral colors (browns and grays) of solid 100% cotton fabric, 1/4 to 1 yard cuts, in a variety of values (dark to light).
- 1 yard white 100% cotton fabric.
- 1 yard black 100% cotton fabric.
- Thread for piecing
- Scissors, Seam Ripper, Pins and any other small notions you normally use when sewing.
- Rotary Cutter and Mat
- No rulers allowed!
- Sewing Machine with needles, bobbins, bobbin case, feet for piecing a 1/4 inch seam.
- Design wall
- Iron and ironing board.
- Digital camera to photograph your work.