Are you ready to study, understand and practice abstraction?
In this 10 week online workshop you will obtain a deeper understanding of the question “What is abstraction?” by exploring the artwork of dozens of abstract artists.
You will develop a vocabulary of abstract elements and learn to create personal and meaningful abstract compositions through weekly studio composition exercises.
The assignments cover both non-objective abstraction and the process of abstracting reality. There are also assignments that help you investigate the role of planning and generation of ideas in your creative process.
You will learn how to write formal written critiques and will have ample opportunity to practice this skill as you evaluate each of your assignments. I will be provide with both written and verbal feedback throughout the class.
Mindsets are an important part of the workshop and we’ll dive into our thoughts and beliefs around our art making and studio practices to strengthen both. We’ll be looking at topics such as trust, vulnerability, limiting beliefs, personality types, habits, confidence and much more.
Note that this class does NOT include technique instruction. Students are expected to have the art/quilt making skills necessary to create the assignments. No specific techniques are required – painting, drawing, quilt making (piecing, applique, fusing, embellishment), surface design, etc – any medium is acceptable.
As with all of my workshops, my biggest intention is to provide my students the confidence and tools so they can move their art forward by leaps and bounds.
Experience Level: Advanced Beginner to Advanced
Prerequisites – Artwork
- …have all materials, supplies and tools you will need to create the artwork in your chosen style and medium.
- …have the knowledge and skill to create artwork in your chosen medium.
- …be willing to work hard and focus.
- …leave all self deprecating thoughts at the door and be ready to think big about your art
- …be ready to reflect upon their experience so you can grow
- …and, of course, have fun. Laughter is encouraged.
Some of those things might make you uncomfortable and they might scare you. But if you have an open mind and are willing to give it a try, you qualify.
It is recommended you document your work in this class in a journal or sketchbook.
Prerequisites – Computer Skills
- Ability to take clear, in focus photos of your artwork with a digital camera.
- Ability to re-size and prepare your images for the internet.
- Ability to upload images via a WordPress blog. A step by step tutorial will be provided but each student must master this skill. It’s really quite simple and involves clicking a few buttons and links.
What are Students Saying about Abstractions?
Visit my alumni directory for images of former students’ artwork and read more of their thoughts about the workshop.
Online Course Logistics
The online material and discussions will take place on a private class website.
- Lectures will be held via group web conference.
- Lectures will be 1 hour long on Sunday mornings at 10am Mountain.
- Lectures will be recorded for those that can not attend live.
- A portion of the lecture will be reserved for questions and answers.
- Additional course material will be emailed Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings.
- There will be 8 assignments which are to be uploaded to the group website.
- I will be provide written responses to the assignments on the website.
- Additional class discussion and questions will be held each week on the website.
- Each participant will hold 2 private phone conversations with me during the 5th and 10th week of class to discuss progress and go over any questions you might have.
Still Not Sure?
Please Don’t Signup for This Workshop If…
- You have an unwillingness to explore what motivates your artwork on visual, emotional and spiritual levels.
- You don’t want to learn more about yourself and what informs your art. I’ll be encouraging introspection and reflection. This workshop isn’t for you if you aren’t willing explore your thoughts.
- You aren’t willing to invest time in learning. This is a workshop has extensive written and studio assignments as we learn by doing.
Maybe another class is a better fit. See all of my online workshops here.